Recently, there was a dubious story pushed that involved President-Elect Donald Trump.
News organizations were put in an awkward situation on Tuesday when the term “golden showers” took the nation by storm, but most decision makers decided to go a different route when reporting the news of a Russian dossier. BuzzFeed sent the internet into a frenzy on Tuesday when it published a collection of memos accusing Trump of improper contact with Russian officials — and alleging the former reality TV star arranged “golden showers” with prostitutes in a Moscow hotel room.
The Golden Showers stories:
A dossier, compiled by a person who has claimed to be a former British intelligence official, alleges Russia has compromising information on Trump. The allegations are unverified, and the report contains errors.
CNN: Intel chiefs presented Trump with claims of Russian efforts to compromise him
Senator John McCain passed documents to the FBI director, James Comey, last month alleging secret contacts between the Trump campaign and Moscow and that Russian intelligence had personally compromising material on the president-elect himself. The material, which has been seen by the Guardian, is a series of reports on Trump’s relationship with Moscow. They were drawn up by a former western counter-intelligence official, now working as a private consultant. BuzzFeed on Tuesday published the documents, which it said were “unverified and potentially unverifiable”.
— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) January 11, 2017
Donald Trump…… Hookers….. Golden Showers?
The man is a self-proclaimed germaphobe.
Yes, it’s true that Trump is a documented germaphobe. He wrote in his 1997 book, “The Art of the Comeback,” that shaking hands is “one of the curses of American society. … I happen to be a clean hands freak. I feel much better after I thoroughly wash my hands, which I do as much as possible.”
Senior U.S. intel official tells NBC News that Trump, Russia dossier is “unvetted disinformation”: https://t.co/yAqBetJXgX
— MSNBC (@MSNBC) January 11, 2017
The last time someone presented unverified news, they either stepped down or were ousted.
NEW YORK – Veteran newsman Dan Rather (search) announced Tuesday that he would step down as anchor of “CBS Evening News” in March, the 24th anniversary of his taking over the job from Walter Cronkite. The move comes just months after Rather, 73, was taken to task for going to air with a controversial “60 Minutes II” story that questioned President Bush’s service in the National Guard, a piece that turned out to be based on allegedly forged documents. Rather said he would continue to work for CBS News as a correspondent for both editions of “60 Minutes.” “I have always been and remain a ‘hard news’ investigative reporter at heart,” he said. “I now look forward to pouring my heart into that kind of reporting full time.”
Four CBS News employees, including three executives, have been ousted for their role in preparing and reporting a disputed story about President Bush’s National Guard service. The action was prompted by the report of an independent panel that concluded that CBS News failed to follow basic journalistic principles in the preparation and reporting of the piece. The panel also said CBS News had compounded that failure with a “rigid and blind” defense of the 60 Minutes Wednesday report. Asked to resign were Senior Vice President Betsy West, who supervised CBS News primetime programs; 60 Minutes Wednesday Executive Producer Josh Howard; and Howard’s deputy, Senior Broadcast Producer Mary Murphy. The producer of the piece, Mary Mapes, was terminated. “We deeply regret the disservice this flawed 60 Minutes Wednesday report did to the American public, which has a right to count on CBS News for fairness and accuracy,” said CBS President Leslie Moonves.